Societe Generale – Forge, the crypto assets and Blockchain tech subsidiary of SocGen (Societe General Group), is now registered with the AMF (Autorité des marchés financiers) as a DASP (as a Digital Asset Service Provider).
The AMF is an independent French financial institution and public authority that regulates the French financial market, its participants, and the investment products distributed through the markets. Currently, there are over 50+ registered DASPs listed on its official website (as of October 2022).
As per the official website (amf-france.org), Societe Generale – Forge is registered as a DASP with AMF on September 27, 2022, with an AMF Registration No. of E2022-049. The French investment firm is now authorized to offer the following digital asset services:
- Custody of digital assets on behalf of a client
- The service of buying or selling digital assets for legal tender
- Trading of digital assets against other digital asset.
Societe Generale – Forge, is a regulated subsidiary of the “Societe Generale Group”, one of Europe’s leading financial services groups and third-largest bank in France. The Paris-based multinational financial services company was founded in 1864 and supports over 25 million clients per day in 66 countries. Founded in 2018, Société Generale – FORGE offers digital-native financial products registered on the blockchain (Security Tokens). It also offers crypto assets structuring, issuing, exchange and custody services to the group’s professional clients (issuers or investors, either Companies or Financial Institutions).
Societe Generale-Forge is supervised by the Autorité de Contrôle Prudentiel et de Résolution (ACPR) and controlled by the AMF, and it allows security tokens to be directly integrated into conventional banking systems that use SWIFT format. The company was subject to a rigorous review, particularly around ALM (anti-money laundering) and CFT (combating the financing of terrorism), in order to receive clearance by the ACPR and become a DASP (Digital Asset Service Provider).
Earlier this year, many prominent crypto exchanges and trading/investment platforms like Binance, eToro, Crypto.com, and Luno were also listed as DASP registered with AMF. BINANCE France SAS was registered on May 4, 2022, ETORO (Europe) Limited on June 9, 2022, LUNO FRANCE SAS on July 19, 2022, and FORIS DAX MT Limited (Crypto.com) was registered on September 27, 2022 (same day as Societe Generale – FORGE).
- Since 2019, Societe Generale is offering a range of financial instruments (structured products), under a native security token format on Ethereum and Tezos.
- In April 2021, Societe Generale offered its first tokenized asset, a “Security Token”, directly registered on the Tezos public blockchain
- In April 2022, Stéphanie Cabossioras, the then Deputy General Counsel/Deputy Director of Legal Affairs at AMF (Autorité des marchés financiers) left her position to join Binance France as the new Legal Director France/Head of Legal France.